To find out how we can help you, visit our website at www.seenterprise.co.uk/ or email us on info@seenterprise.co.uk or Tel: 020 8305 2666.

Monday 8 November 2010

Work that fits around your life


Shirley Drummonds – through Spiders Web Solution balances a growing business around childcare
Shirley Drummonds a single mother with seven children founded Spiders Web Solutions in April 2010 to give herself the flexibility to balance her family commitments with using her skills and experience to develop a social enterprise consultancy business. Previously, she had worked on a voluntary basis with community groups supporting disabled and other minority groups.

Until January 2010 Shirley was Chair of Lewisham based Fun Fizzical providing active gym and dance sessions for 4-16 year old children from disadvantaged backgrounds. When she heard about the free support available from South East Enterprise to people wanting to work for themselves she realised that she could turn the many hours of voluntary time she was devoting to this into a viable business.

As Shirley says… “ I have a lot of experience to offer, but because of my family commitments a 9-5 salaried job was out of the question. To keep my skills up to date I involved myself in local community programmes as a volunteer. This made me realise that there was a gap in the market for somebody to start a professional management consultancy service to fill the skills shortages in many of these community groups.

I couldn’t believe it when I heard about the free support and advice that SEE provide people wanting to start businesses, I realised that I could that being my own boss would give me the  flexibility to balance work with my family life. SEE advisers gave me sound practical advice on setting up and running a business, marketing and accounting; this gave me the knowledge and confidence I needed to start Spiders Web Solutions”

SEE, have been supporting residents of Greenwich to set up successful new enterprises as well as those wanting to grow existing businesses for over 20 years. The School Gates Enterprise programme is funded by Greenwich Council to give parents who want to work for themselves the support they need to start their own businesses. It is delivered through a mix of enterprise workshops and individual coaching at nominated schools in the borough. All participants receive a Certificate at a Graduation Ceremony to acknowledge their efforts and achievements.

SEE will support School Gates graduates throughout the trials and tribulations of starting-up their business and, through its other support programmes, continue to offer free advice and guidance in the critical first years of trading.

To find out more about School Gates Enterprise and SEE’s other range of business support see their website www.seenterprise.co.uk or send them an email info@seenterprise.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment